On Wednesday, 2nd September, the government banned 118 Chinese mobile apps including the big one, PUBG as well! This has happened due to another fresh round of border confrontation with China. This is the third wave of bans made by the government on Chinese apps following the confrontations in the Galwan Valley in June in which 20 Indian soldiers were killed.
Government Decision To Ban Chinese Apps
In a statement, the government said the decision to ban the apps would safeguard the interests of Indian users and to ensure safety, security and sovereignty of Indian cyberspace.
PUBG Mobile was launched in 2018 and took the Indian gaming industry by storm! The mobile version of the game is completely controlled by a Chinese Multinational organisation called Tencent. The game gave rise to a lot of content creators to take up live streaming and the numbers just kept on rising. India has over 50 million active PUBG Mobile players, according to reports and receives over 15 million daily users!
Also Read: Top 3 Mouses For Poker Players
The Director of Esports Federation of India, Lokesh Suji, has said that the Indian gaming industry does not depend on only one game. He also encouraged indian game developers to make the most of the opportunity and create engaging multiplayer games. He further added,
“While the stress is to become ‘Atma Nirbhar’. I believe this is a great opportunity for the government and the Ministry of Sports to also recognize Esports as a medal-prospect sporting opportunity. The gaming community can also benefit if government recognition is given to the sport.”
Also Check: Top 3 Playing Cards For Poker
Previously banned apps
Back in June, the government had previously banned 59 mobile apps such as UC browser, Tik Tok, WeChat. Explaining its latest decision, the ministry said it had received many complaints about the misuse of some mobile apps on Android and iOS platforms, citing security concerns.
For more information about the indian gaming industry, keep reading India Poker News!