Since poker came into being, we’ve always heard that it’s a male dominated game. And when it comes to sports and games, we’ve also noticed that women have achieved so much more and received accolades, whether it’s in India or in the international space. Poker is one such sport that measures intense level strategic thinking, talent, skill and many other factors that turn a newbie into a professional in the field.
Here we want to celebrate all those women players in India that have been doing wonders, reaching great heights and debunking the myth of a male dominated game. These women have broken a lot of stereotypes and have made a name for themselves in the poker world.
- Nikita Luther: The superwoman of the Indian poker world and one of the leading poker players in the country, Nikita has been in the field for the last decade. She became the first female poker player to win WSOP and also the only female to win the WSOP bracelet in 2018. She ranks number one in the GPI India ladies of 2020.
- Muskan Sethi: Muskan started her professional poker playing journey by learning to play tricks in a game of cards. She is now one of the most recognisable faces in India. She started playing on Facebook initially and she hasn’t looked back since. Muskan comes from a conservative background, so delving into poker and making it her primary source of income wasn’t a cake walk. In an interview with India Today, she said, “Gender doesn’t play a role in poker and if anything, women are more respected in this field.”
- Minissha Lamba: Originally a Bollywood star but has now been away from the spotlight, Minissha Lamba turned into a professional poker player and now ranks third among the top Indian female poker players. She was also signed by Adda54 almost three years ago as their first celebrity pro.
- Shuchi Chamaria: A breakout player in the year 2019, Shuchi is one of the most skilled and proficient in the game. She has been mentored by the poker king of India, Aditya Agarwal and is now married to him. Shuchi has been smashing scores both online and offline for the past year lately and is undoubtedly one of the next big things in the world of poker.
- Amrita Sethi: Model, fashion designer and professional poker player, Amrita is a jack of all trades. She started her journey 2 years ago and has come a long way since then, performing decently well when it comes to live poker tournaments and cash games. She is working with Spartan Poker as a professional poker player along with being a brand ambassador.